How do you ensure your product, service or brand can rise up and out of its sea of competitors? By having a strong marketing strategy. What is a key first step in that process? Developing a strong positioning statement. Every marketing decision you make needs to be built upon the solid central foundation of a good core positioning statement. So what is a positioning statement and how do you create one?
What is a Positioning Statement?
A positioning statement describes how your product or brand fills a a need for your target audience in a way that is different from your competitors. In other words it is a short paragraph (statement) that identifies (positions) your product or brand to the appropriate market niche (target audience) to assist in establishing it in that market niche in a unique way (different from your competitors). Great! So how do you write a great positioning statement? By answering the following seven questions.
- Who is the target audience?
- What are your product, service, or brand's attributes that define the space?
- How is your product's attributes unique from your competitions' products?
- What is your target market's ideal combination of attributes? (Do they want a high quality product but they don't want to pay the highest rates?)
- What is your target market's ideal combination of differentiators? (Your product might be cheaper than your competitors, but does this matter to your target audience?)
- What are the goals of your target audience?
Combine Your Answers Into a Positioning Statement
Here are a few examples to help:
Here is a positioning statement example for H&M.
H&M allows young fashion conscious men with a limited budget access to trendy and affordable fashion to make them appear and feel more successful.
Feel free to experiment and write multiple versions for your product, service or brand. Here are two similar examples of positioning statements for Dapper Gentlemen's web design services.
Dapper Gentlemen offers an affordable and user-friendly way for small business owners to have a professional, trustworthy and discoverable website.
Dapper Gentlemen will rapidly design and develop an optimized, responsive and contextual-driven website that enables small business owners to reach their target audience across mobile and desktop devices.
By creating a solid positioning statement you give yourself and your company the ability to build upon it in your future marketing and content strategies. If you have great examples of your own or other company's positioning statements please share them with me on twitter!